The NC&StL Nashville Division extended from the company's home office
city, Nashville, westward through Bruceton and McKenzie to the end of
the line in Hickman, Kentucky. The trackage from Nashville to Hollow Rock
Junction (Bruceton) was the original Nashville and Northwestern, and was
for years referred to by crews as "The Windy" because of numerous
curves and grades.
The steam-era of the NC&StL was largely unremarkable until the delivery
of the J1 "Mountain" 4-8-2s just after the First World War.
That is, with the exception of the 4-4-0 "General" of Civil
War, Western & Atlantic Railroad fame. The "Mountain"
locomotives really introduced modern steam power to the NC&StL, with
many of their design innovations incorporated into the later J2's and
J3's. Of little known note, the NC&StL also maintained three
enormous 2-8-8-2 "Mallet"s, #s 900-902, which served the majority
of their long lives on the Chattanooga Division as helpers.
Mr. Henry Hill, whose grandfather, H. C. Hill, was the NC&StL Railway
official photographer from the 1920's through the early 1950's,
has recently developed, printed and scanned some of his grandfather's
large negatives of NC&StL locomotives and various other operating
equipment (including Mallet #902) and posted them to an image gallery
web site (thumbnails). Click
to visit Mr. Hill's NC&StL web site.