The Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway operated a branch
line from Wartrace to Shelbyville that was built in 1850.
The Shelbyville railway depot is now owned by the county and still
exsists near the intersection of highways 130 and 64.
photo courtesy of rootsweb.com/~usgenweb
In 1936, there were 2 trains running daily roundtrips except Sunday.
These were "mixed" trains - a combination of passengers
and freight. Shelbyville had both a passenger depot and a freight
station, as well as stock pens for transport of livestock over the
railway. Trains ran from Shelbyville to Wartrace, to connect with
the mainline. The trip took about 25 minutes to cover the 10 miles.
Departures from Shelbyville, according to a 1936 timetable, were
at 10:45 am and 2:35 pm; and trips from Wartrace to Shelbyville
were at 8 am and 11:59 am.
The tracks are still in use today by the Walking Horse and Eastern
Railroad Co. for freight service. Volunteers run excursion
trains from Shelbyville to Wartrace on weekends during the summer.
Shelbyville is also the location of semi-annual luncheon reunions
for former NC&StL employees, still meeting regularly but now
expanded to include L&N and CSX employees.