Paducah Chapter of NRHS railroad museum was formerly located at
3rd and Washington streets in downtown Paducah (next to the main
post office and fire station) on the second floor of the Chief Paduke
Antique mall, which is housed in the former NC&StL freight house.
The freight house was sold in 2005, and plans are to convert it
The NRHS railroad museum has moved one block closer to the river
and is now in a vintage (former warehouse) building at 2nd &
Washington Street. The new location is three times as large,
on the ground floor, has handicapped access, and is closer to other
museums and downtown attractions. We have greatly expanded our exhibits,
and have plans to continue to expand.
The museum houses a growing collection of photos, memorabilia,
and artifacts from western Kentucky railroading, including many
N.C. pictures and artifacts.
One of the more intriguing artifacts is the CTC panel that once
controlled segments of the former IC Kentucky Division between Paducah
and Central City. The panel is operational, and you can line
up a route, hit the "start" button, and then watch the
various relays and switches open and close. The panel was
donated by the Paducah & Louisville Railway, which had installed
a new computerized CTC system.
Just a couple blocks away, along the floodwall, is IC 2-8-2 1518,
the only remaining IC 2-8-2.