Bruceton and Hollow Rock are actually two different towns, with
city limits right next to each other. Bruceton may have been called
Hollow Rock Junction in the beginning, but was renamed in 1920,
after W. P. Bruce, then General Manager of the NC&StL. The older
people of Hollow Rock have never forgiven the railroad for moving
a mile down the track to build their yard.
Can anyone supply more specifics?
This rock is the namesake for the town of Hollow Rock. The town
was a major stop before the yards at Bruceton were built. And was
the rock really hollow? The hole you see in the photo goes through
the rock and turns right, passing out that side. Hobos used the
rock as temporary housing in times past.
In the early 1900's, on top of the ground, the stone was 456 feet
long, 13 feet wide, and 12 feet high. Today the rock has sunk into
the ground and is approximately 50 foot long, 10 foot tall
and 15 foot wide with an open tunnel running across the width that
enough to sit in comfortably.